13.01.2016

 

Russia’s Efremov Institute is producing 51 magnets for FAIR

Magnet from St. Petersburg arrives for FAIR


The new dipole magnet from St. Petersburg is 1.60 metres wide, 1.80 metres long and weighs nine tonnes. Persons involved in the project (from left): Juri Beliakin, Vitaly Palchik, Ron Rudolf Mändl, Frank Hagenbuck, Christina Will, Bruno Merk, Alexander Krasnov, Edgar Mahner, Andreas Krämer, Carsten Mühle, Aleksei Konstantinov. (Photo: Efremov Institute)

Unloading of the magnet at GSI (from left: Mischa Weipert, Carsten Mühle; Photo: Frank Hagenbuck)

Shortly before the end of the year, a magnet from St. Petersburg arrived at GSI weighing in at a “mere” nine tonnes. It is the first of 51 different magnets currently being produced for FAIR GmbH by the Russian D.V. Efremov Institute of Electrophysical Apparatus. Along with some 300 other magnets, they will have the job of transporting the ion beam in the FAIR facility to the accelerators, storage rings and experimental stations.

 

The magnet, known as DIP1S_0, will be integrated into the beam transport system that guides the ion beam from the existing SIS18 ring accelerator directly to the Superconducting Fragment Separator (Super-FRS). The Super-FRS, a kind of sorting machine for extremely rare and short-lived ions, will thus be able to receive ion beams of the highest energy and intensity from the large FAIR ring accelerator as well as the less energy-rich ion beams from the SIS18. This will make it possible to conduct a wide variety of experiments.

 

DIP1S_0 is a deflecting magnet (dipole) that was designed at GSI. Physicists and engineers at the Efremov Institute developed the production plans on the basis of the GSI’s technical specifications and then constructed the accelerator components. The accompanying vacuum chamber was manufactured at the Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics in the Russian city of Novosibirsk, which is working together with the Efremov Institute on this contract. The 51 magnets and vacuum chambers are a Russian contribution in kind for FAIR.

 

The Efremov Institute was founded in 1945 and produces, among other things, magnets and further equipment for particle accelerators, e.g. for DESY and already previously for GSI.

 

The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics was founded in Siberian Novosibirsk in 1958. The institute carries out basic research into the structure of matter and develops components for accelerator facilities, such as vacuum chambers for DESY and CERN.

 

Further information:

Russia as a FAIR partner

D.V. Efremov Institute of Electrophysical Apparatus

Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics

Super-FRS




To top

 
(c) 2016 FAIR
  •  Home|
  • Contact